Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Basket Swap

Late winter, I saw that Tabitha of Creative Wings  was hosting a Spring Basket Swap.  I thought it would be so much fun and I was ready for some creative expression, so I signed up.  That was just before the rug was pulled out from underneath us and our house was torn apart.  Despite our huge construction project, having difficulty finding time and energy to create, and never mind just trying to locate any of my supplies up in my craft room - I did enjoy creating these cute little baskets and their contents for this swap.  

I covered a little cup with crepe paper and wrapped a pink velvet bow.  I used a gold pipe cleaner as a handle.  Inside I included a sweet bunny embellishment and attached a little bling to the ear with a fun rhinestone crown button.  I also made a little glass bottle charm, a bird on an embellished spool, and a little decorated matchbox with some fun goodies inside. 

The basket below was made for me by Tabitha.  I just love the bright pink crepe paper, flowers, and the cute NEST banner on the spun cotton handle.  Of course, birds are always a favorite for me.  Tabitha covered her cup with vintage paper and then turned another cup upside down to create a base for a taller basket.  I never even thought to do something like that.  She scalloped the edge of the paper on the bottom for a decorative edge.  Inside were lots of adorable floral embellishments along with a spool containing beautiful floral ribbon.   The goodies even overflowed outside of the basket - ribbons, flowers, buttons, butterflies, lace. - everything was so beautifully packaged and I can't wait to use some of those beautiful new embellishments.

The second basket I received in this swap was from my sweet friend Terri from The Junque Seeker.  Terri and I exchanged our baskets last week while attending a class at The Paper Crown.  Terri *always* goes above and beyond in everything she does, and this was no exception!  I didn't take a picture of the box her basket was packaged in, but she even decorated the box with lovely wide ric rac and a cute spring embellishment that she made. The box was just a preview of the loveliness waiting inside.  When I opened the package, I was so excited to see the basket she made for me!  My picture just does not do this basket justice.

Terri didn't follow the "rules" of the swap by using a candy nut cup.  She used a larger peat pot which she covered in a beautiful spring paper and embellished with that fun, multicolored crepe paper fringe. The basket is absolutely beautiful and much more sturdy than the one I made.  
 I didn't know what to look at first - the basket itself or those sweet chickies sitting on the edge.  But then, my eyes were immediately drawn to the left side of the handle and the collection of gorgeous silk and velvet flowers that Terri attached to the handle.  Inside the basket, she included a precious vintage hankie with little puppies (she knows my love of dogs!), some chocolates (yum!), vintage lace, crochet flowers, and a little envelope filled with little cards that spelled out "Spring", along with sweet little embossed vintage chickie embellishments.  I've been completely spoiled.  You'll want to check out her blog for much better pictures.

I just want to create a bunch of these little baskets now.  Aren't they so fun!?!

6 comments:

  1. this was such a fun swap! i hope you ladies have fun at birdsong! i m green w envy
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lisa! how cute your little baskets are!! I hope I get some time to craft tomorrow. time is running out for easter crafting!!
    have a great weekend
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, Oh my gosh! I see you know my Vivian. It makes absolute sense that she would have in her circle of friends women whose work is truly artistry as she is one herself. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, Creative Breathing. It truly is a revelation to me to see the you and Bobbie create. It's breathtaking, and I am so excited to learn all I can from each of you. Thank you again for stopping by to support your friend. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Regardless, I'm definitely pleased I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back often!


    my site ... our website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,

    What cute baskets. Thanks for popping over to my blog. Just wanted to let you know that I am using Photoshop Elements 11 for my tutorials. Wishing you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete