Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What a wonderful Birdsong weekend!

I had the most wonderful weekend attending Birdsong at Karla's cottage. Karla is such a wonderful hostess attending to every little detail and making each one of us feel right at home. It was an event that felt like a gathering of friends.
We had a great group of incredibly talented women - from the teachers right on down to the students. The classes were awesome - I learned lots of new techniques that I can't wait to try again. I just can't say enough good things about this whole weekend!
The first class was an adorable crepe paper tree taught by Carol Spinski. I need to tweak mine a little and add a few decorations but Carol was just a complete delight. Not only did she teach us the technique for the tree but also showed us how to make a wreath, a corsage and several flowers too. I can't wait to make more of these trees in different colors for upcoming holidays.

Our second class was to make two lampshade/sconce shades taught by Debbie Dusenberry. Debbie supplied us with wire frames, the linen with the vintage pictures and all kinds of embellishments to use on our projects. I only completed one shade and I *may* embellish mine a little more but I really am happy the way my shade turned out. I wish I had taken pictures of some of the more elaborate shades - each one was so different and so beautiful!

Debbie also brought along her beautiful sidekick Pearl.

Lisa McIlvain taught the third class of the weekend. She gave us a loom and supplied us with all kinds of fabrics to use to weave this adorable bag! I love, love, love mine! I still need to add a handle but I just think it turned out so beautiful. (I can say that about my project, right?)

The sample she made had a grapevine handle, and other embellishments as shown here in a picture that I'm using from Karla's blog.

The final class for the weekend was a Nest Banner taught by Karla herself. I finished all my letters but haven't quite made them into a banner just yet. These too, I just love!




I wish I had taken more photos during the event but honestly, I was just enjoying myself too much and trying to take it all in. Be sure to click on all the links and visit the other blogs - you won't be disappointed!
Next post I will show you the bird I made for the frilly bird swap and a picture of the sweet prize I won!

11 comments:

  1. Lisa- It was so nice to meet you and share a little "fireside chat". Your projects turned out beautiful. I'm really in love with the whole weaving project- I already made a little bracelet, just need to figure out the best way to fasten it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fabulous weekend, wasn't it? I love how your purse turned out..very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend!! I'm so glad we had yet another artistic adventure together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all ur projects are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got to attend... I was hoping to, but it was Janna's prom weekend and I couldn't miss all that!

    All your projects are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to meet you Lisa...what fun we had, huh? LOVE your sparrow in the bird swap! I'm going to finish my projects & do an ode to BirdSong by displaying them on my hutch.

    BTW LOVE your secret Garden tags!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Lisa!! You are so talented! I love birds -- so cute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa~
    Your projects are just lovely. I enjoyed meeting you and all the other 'talent' that attended. It was an awesome weekend and I am still reeling it all in!
    XO~Hope

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such a beautiful job. This is the retreat i wanted to come to most but it wasn't the right time. Next time! I knew about eight of the people that went...lovely women and so talented!
    Fondly,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh WOW. you di dso many cool things, and all quite different. i love the bag the very most. i'm sure you're feeling very inspired right about now. so glad for you--

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your projects turned out! It was a huge treat to get to know you this weekend -- I loved watching you laugh and enjoy yourself; I hope we get to spend time together again! I'm going to be using the techniques I learned over and over again, too!

    ReplyDelete