Monday, August 30, 2010

The vacation that wasn't...



We have been planning a vacation "home" to see my family (in Connecticut) for about six months now. My cousin Christopher was getting married, my sisters are both having babies, and we thought it would be a great time to spend a couple days in NYC then head on up to Connecticut to visit my family. I haven't seen my family in over a year and Doug and I were both looking forward to our trip. Well, to say things didn't go exactly as planned is an understatement.

We were all excited to stay a couple of days in NYC at the beginning of our trip. We had it all booked when Doug got a call from his employer and got the news that a meeting was scheduled for him to be in New Jersey on our planned days in NYC. Bummer that some of our time was going to be infringed upon by work commitments but hey, you do what you gotta do. We would have some other time to enjoy NYC prior to setting out for Connecticut.

We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and we walked from Times Square all the way to Soho. I wanted to visit Kate's Paperie and Doug wanted to visit Supreme - a skateboard shop (which ended up not being open). We ate at Simply Pasta and it was wonderful!

Tuesday night we saw "Rock Of Ages".

On Wednesday morning Doug went off to his meeting and we got the news his mom was back in the hospital with pneumonia. It has been a rough go since she fell back in July and from what we were hearing we realized we really needed to get to Texas right away to see her. We changed our flight to fly out as soon as we could and spent the remainder of the week in Texas.

Over the past couple of days she has "clinically improved" but she is still very, very sick. Any prayers for her and for Doug's family would be much appreciated.

We didn't make it to Connecticut to see my family and we missed my cousin's wedding but it was more important for us to be with Doug's mom. Right now we are back in Oklahoma and not exactly sure what the next few days are going to bring.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear Doug's mom has had such a rough go of things! My prayers are with you guys and her for more improvement! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete