Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My garden needs help.

I had big plans for the backyard once the patio was finished. I dug, hauled dirt, planted, watered, fertilized, weeded and overall busted my back for these beds. I dreamed of lots of juicy tomatoes, delicious herbs, beautiful flowers and lush landscaping. Well, I ended up with NO tomatoes - the plants grew big and strong but not one single tomato. I planted peppers - no peppers. I did get some basil but what good is that with no tomatoes? Even the flowers struggled to just survive in the devastating heat we have had since the end of June.

In fact, one beautiful evergreen didn't make it and I'm doing my best to keep the other two alive. Ugh.

Once the weather cools off a little bit I'll be back out there digging up what didn't survive and replacing those things with stronger varieties.

On the bright side, we've had a bunch of hummingbirds this year and the view of these feeders from the window has been spectacular! They seem to love diving through the mist when the sprinklers are on and they are very territorial of their nectar. It's been so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that! One observation - it could be the OU flag scared them off??! We will get you a Husker flag when you are here next month, maybe it'll give you better luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching hummingbirds, too! They are an amazing creature. Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your garden. It's disappointing when you've planned and worked and had no bounty to show for it. :(

    ReplyDelete