Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Club

It was a fun month for our book club. We not only read two books for the month but we also went and saw the movie for one:

Have you read it? Have you seen the movie? I *loved* this book. I couldn't put it down. I started reading it one evening and read until almost two in the morning before I forced myself to try to get some sleep, and then, I couldn't wait to pick it up and keep reading.
From what I had heard, the movie was very good too. The movie pretty much tracks the book but there were a few significant changes that were different from the book to the movie. The movie paints a much more sympathetic character of Skeeter's mother for one. There are a few other significant changes but I don't want to ruin it if you haven't quite had a chance to read the book or seen the movie. If you haven't - I highly recommend both. Feel free to comment with your own thoughts. :)
The second book we read was Room by Emma Donoghue. At first I didn't really care for the story but once I got past the first few pages I was hooked. It's a story about a woman and her son Jack who are locked up in a room. The story is told from the perspective of Jack who is five years old and was born in that room. It really makes you think about what you would do and how you would handle that situation. The scary thing is the preparation their captor undertook and that we don't know how many "missing" people may be living in this kind of situation. I didn't love Room nearly as much as I did The Help but it was an interesting read.
Our next selection in time for Halloween is: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
Do you have any suggestions for "must reads"?

No comments:

Post a Comment